The Orlando Magic organization has been absolute mess over the last year or so as they have dealt with a superstar that wanted out via trade in Dwight Howard, a head coach that couldn’t get along with that superstar and failure to compete with the Indiana Pacers once reaching the NBA playoffs.
After such a disaster of a season, changes were bound to be made in Orlando and that they have. The first domino to fall was head coach Stan Van Gundy. With Van Gundy coming out publicly saying that Howard wanted him out or he wouldn’t stay, Van Gundy knew that his days in Orlando were numbered and didn’t mind leaving the mess with the Magic.
Once Van Gundy was fired, the Magic and GM Otis Smith mutually agreed to part ways. Smith leaving Orlando was also something that appeared to be on the horizon as he was extremely frustrated with the Howard trade speculation and couldn’t get out of town faster enough.
Now the Magic are searching for a new head coach and a general manager. The Magic seem to be locking in on legendary head coach Jerry Sloan formerly of the Utah Jazz. As for the open GM position, the team has reportedly reached out to former player and current NBA analyst, Shaquille O’Neal.
Almost as quickly as the rumors spread of Shaq potentially interviewing for the vacant GM job, the four-time NBA champion has denied any interest in leaving TNT to become the general manage in Orlando where the NBA legend currently resides.
Whether or not Shaq will have a change of heart remains to be seen, but if O’Neal was to take the job the situation with Howard might get much worse with some animosity between the two.
- Dwight Howard Claims he had no role in Stan Van Gundy firing
- Dwight Howard no longer wants to play for Stan Van Gundy
- Stan Van Gundy claims Dwight Howard asked for him to be fired
- Orlando Magic’s Dwight Howard still wants Stan Van Gundy fired
- Shaquille O’Neal calls it quits via Twitter after 19 seasons in the NBA
Leave a Reply
- NBA Finals: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat Game 6
- Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics Close to Pulling Off Blockbuster Trade
- Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant Wants to Play At Least Two More Seasons
- Spurs’ Tony Parker Listed as Day-to-Day With Hamstring Strain
- Mike Wallace Turned Down $76 Million Offer from Minnesota Vikings
- Doc Rivers Expresses Interest In Joining Los Angeles Clippers
- Texans’ Ed Reed Says Tom Brady Slide Forced Hip Surgery
- Indianapolis Colts Agree To Terms With RB Ahmad Bradshaw
- Is Tim Tebow a contender for the backup QB role for the New England Patriots?
- Future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd Frontrunner for Brooklyn Nets Coaching Job
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...