The nightmare of the 2011-12 shortened NBA season is officially over for Lamar Odom with a no future and a new NBA team right around the corner. As of June 29, a decision will be made by the Dallas Mavericks on what to do with Odom and his lucrative $8.2 million contract for next season.
Ever since the meltdown at the end of the regular season, the consensus has been that Odom would either get released, traded or bought out by the Mavs. Despite limited interest in Odom’s services after his awful season in Dallas, the Mavs have still gauged the interest in the two-time NBA champion before being forced to buy him out for $2.4 million.
Ironically enough, the best option for the Mavs at this point in time is making a three-way trade with the Los Angeles Clippers and the Los Angeles Lakers. This deal would send Odom back to the team that drafted him in 1999 and send Mo Williams to the Lakers while the Mavs absorb the $8.9 million trade exception.
This is an interesting deal to say the least with all teams involved benefiting. With the backcourt of the Clippers as stacked as it is, Williams is no longer needed. Odom would come in to help the bench while the Lakers receive a motivated point guard without giving any player up or paying out a large sum in free agency.
It appears to be a win-win situation for the Mavs, Clippers and Lakers, but it is uncertain whether or not the deal will hit a snag before Odom’s deadline on June 29. If the deal does go through, every team should come out satisfied with an improved roster moving towards free agency on July 1.
Leave a Reply
- NBA Finals: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat Game 6
- Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics Close to Pulling Off Blockbuster Trade
- Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant Wants to Play At Least Two More Seasons
- Spurs’ Tony Parker Listed as Day-to-Day With Hamstring Strain
- Mike Wallace Turned Down $76 Million Offer from Minnesota Vikings
- Doc Rivers Expresses Interest In Joining Los Angeles Clippers
- Texans’ Ed Reed Says Tom Brady Slide Forced Hip Surgery
- Indianapolis Colts Agree To Terms With RB Ahmad Bradshaw
- Is Tim Tebow a contender for the backup QB role for the New England Patriots?
- Future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd Frontrunner for Brooklyn Nets Coaching Job
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...