Over the past few weeks, the two biggest concerns for the Los Angeles Lakers with the NBA playoffs right around the corner has been the health of Kobe Bryant (shin) and the immaturity issues with up-and-coming center Andrew Bynum.
Even though Kobe has been out of commission for three games while nursing a bruised shin on his left leg, the Lakers have fared well without the Black Mamba. With two wins in the last three games without Kobe, the Lakeshow is starting to come together in the face of adversity. That is a great sign for Lakers head coach Mike Brown with some tough challenges ahead in the playoffs.
Coming into Wednesday night’s game against the red-hot San Antonio Spurs, the Los Angeles Lakers had to play without Kobe Bryant once again. Despite seemingly being outmatched by a better all-around Spurs squad, the Lakers dominate Tim Duncan and company from the opening tip to the final buzzer in the fourth quarter.
Along with Metta World Peace turning back the clock with a season-high 26 points, Andrew Bynum put on a historic display by ripping down a career-high 30 rebounds. Not only was the rebound total impressive to say the least, but it was on the fifth time in Lakers franchise history that a player had accomplished that feat.
Only Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor, George Mikan and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar had been able to duplicate this performance in the past. Not even Shaquille O’Neal or the Orlando Magic’s Dwight Howard has recorded 30 boards in a single game.
Needless to say, Andrew Bynum was a beast in the win over the San Antonio Spurs (98-84) and has given the Lakers’ coaching staff high hopes for the immediate future with their young center starting to come into his own.
Leave a Reply
- NBA Finals: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat Game 6
- Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics Close to Pulling Off Blockbuster Trade
- Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant Wants to Play At Least Two More Seasons
- Spurs’ Tony Parker Listed as Day-to-Day With Hamstring Strain
- Mike Wallace Turned Down $76 Million Offer from Minnesota Vikings
- Doc Rivers Expresses Interest In Joining Los Angeles Clippers
- Texans’ Ed Reed Says Tom Brady Slide Forced Hip Surgery
- Indianapolis Colts Agree To Terms With RB Ahmad Bradshaw
- Is Tim Tebow a contender for the backup QB role for the New England Patriots?
- Future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd Frontrunner for Brooklyn Nets Coaching Job
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...