The speculation surrounding the future of perennial All-Star point guard Deron Williams has finally come to an end with one of the league’s best floor generals deciding to re-sign with the Brooklyn Nets.
With the Dallas Mavericks and the Nets battling it out over the last week or so for the opportunity to sign Williams, the most coveted free agent this summer decided to go for the big money and the chance to turn Brooklyn into a NBA title contender next season alongside fellow superstar Joe Johnson.
Of all the trade rumors and speculation swirling around the league about Williams, re-signing with the Nets was the most likely scenario. With the Nets being able to offer $100 million over five years and the Mavs coming in at about $75 million over four years, Brooklyn was the clear favorite and ultimately won the battle to land the superstar point guard.
Now that the Nets have Gerald Wallace re-signed and recently acquired Johnson via trade, the Nets are a true contender in the Eastern Conference with Williams leading the way in the backcourt. Even though Brooklyn has made more moves than any other team thus far, the Nets may not be done yet with the possibility of acquiring Dwight Howard still on the horizon.
Even without bringing in arguably the best center in the league today, the Nets are still a powerhouse with their current roster and will almost certainly be a force to be reckoned with moving forward. Whether or not Johnson and Williams is a lethal combination remains to be seen, but chances are that Brooklyn will have one of the most talented and feared backcourts in the league for years to come.
It’s a stretch to say that the Nets will be able to compete with the Miami Heat in the East, but it’ll be interesting to see how things pan out next season.
- Deron Williams Wants Dwight Howard in Brooklyn to Re-Sign with Nets
- NBA Trade: Atlanta Hawks Send Joe Johnson to the Brooklyn Nets
- Deron Williams Leaning Towards Re-Signing with Brooklyn Nets
- Report: Dwight Howard Planning On Re-Signing With The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA Rumors: Deron Williams Headed to the Los Angeles Lakers?
Leave a Reply
- NBA Finals: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat Game 6
- Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics Close to Pulling Off Blockbuster Trade
- Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant Wants to Play At Least Two More Seasons
- Spurs’ Tony Parker Listed as Day-to-Day With Hamstring Strain
- Mike Wallace Turned Down $76 Million Offer from Minnesota Vikings
- Doc Rivers Expresses Interest In Joining Los Angeles Clippers
- Texans’ Ed Reed Says Tom Brady Slide Forced Hip Surgery
- Indianapolis Colts Agree To Terms With RB Ahmad Bradshaw
- Is Tim Tebow a contender for the backup QB role for the New England Patriots?
- Future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd Frontrunner for Brooklyn Nets Coaching Job
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...