Heading into the NBA off-season, the Dallas Mavericks had two names of their list of potential targets in free agency and via trade. Deron Williams and Dwight Howard were at the top of the list with Mark Cuban and company clearing cap space to accommodate both superstars in order to play alongside Dirk Nowitzki.
The combination of these three players would’ve been the next Big 3 in the NBA and arguably the team to beat in the Western Conference. Even though the Mavs made plenty space for both Williams and Howard, neither player made his way to Dallas with no trade able to be worked out with the Orlando Magic and the perennial All-Star point guard deciding to stay with the Brooklyn Nets.
After losing out on building a potential Big 3 in Dallas, Mark Cuban and company had to settle for Darren Collison and Chris Kaman opposed to Williams and Howard. Obviously, this is a considerable drop off in talent in comparison to arguably two of the best players in the game, but not a bad move by the Mavs to compensate for a poor off-season thus far.
Reportedly, the Mavs agreed to terms with Kaman on a one-year deal worth $8 million. Even though Kaman is no longer the All-Star caliber player he once was with the Los Angeles Clippers a few years ago, he can still contribute at a high level when healthy and should be a good fit alongside German teammate Nowitzki.
As for Collison, the Mavs agreed to a sign-and-trade with the Indiana Pacers. Dallas was able to acquire both Collison and Dahntay Jones in this deal by sending center Ian Mahimi to Indiana.
There was talk of the Mavs pursuing Ramon Sessions as a replacement for Jason Kidd, but they may have found a better option with Collison.
- NBA Deal: OJ Mayo Signs with the Dallas Mavericks
- NBA free agent Deron Williams narrows wish list down to Nets and Mavs
- Dirk Nowitzki believes the Dallas Mavericks are still title contenders
- Phoenix Suns Win Amnesty Auction to Acquire Forward Luis Scola
- NBA Trade: Four-Team trade sending Ariza to New Orleans and Collison to Indiana
Leave a Reply
- Brooklyn Nets Show Interest in Acquiring Kevin Garnett
- Aaron Hernandez Charged with First Degree Murder of Odin Lloyd
- Los Angeles Clippers Officially Acquire Doc Rivers
- Boston Celtics Ready to Make Sign-and-Trade for Josh Smith
- Six-Time NBA Champion Scottie Pippen Arrested for Felony Assault
- Denver Nuggets Hire Brian Shaw to Become New Head Coach
- Kobe Bryant Believes Chris Paul, Dwight Howard Aren’t Going Anywhere
- New England Patriots Aaron Hernandez ‘Likely’ to be Arrested
- Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Clippers Deal Off the Table Once Again
- NBA Finals: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat Game 6
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...