Yup, you read the title right. The Boston Red Sox activated Jacoby Ellsbury from the disabled list just a few days ago on May 22 and now he is already headed back to the DL. He is being placed on the 15-day DL due to an injury to his ribs. The injury is the same one that landed him on the disabled list in April.
Last month, April 11, Ellsbury came in contact with Adrian Beltre, third baseman, which caused Ellsbury to suffer from hairline fractures on four of his ribs.
Thursday, Ellsbury met with team doctors then on Friday, the outfielder apparently had a meeting with a thoracic specialist. He played a few games earlier in the week and then began having some discomfort in his ribs. Internal bleeding has been ruled out at this time but the specialist explained to Ellsbury that he would need rest and the ribs would need more time to heal properly before he plays again.
At this point, the expected return of Ellsbury is unknown. There is no definite timeframe for how long the hairline fractures in his ribs will take to heal properly and allow him to get back out on the field and up to bat. Ellsbury will rest properly and after some time, they’ll evaluate him to see how he is feeling. The extent of his injury is not serious, but the outfielder needs his rest so that his ribs can heal properly. He won’t return to the field until he feels that he feels up to par.
Ellsbury has only participated in nine of the games this season and is batting a .250, three of which were after his rehab mission in Portland and Pawtucket. To take Ellsbury’s position on the active roster for the Red Sox, the team called in reliever Scott Atchinson who has been at AAA Pawtucket.
- MRI Reveals New Rib Fractures for Ellsbury
- Jacoby Ellsbury Heads to Boston for MRI
- Injuries Keep Coming for the Washington Nationals and Boston Red Sox with Josh Willingham and Jacoby Ellsbury Likely Out for the Rest of the Season
- Orioles’ Millwood to DL While Pie is Activated
- Phillies’ Ryan Madson Scheduled for Tuesday Toe Surgery
Leave a Reply
- NBA Finals: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat Game 6
- Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics Close to Pulling Off Blockbuster Trade
- Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant Wants to Play At Least Two More Seasons
- Spurs’ Tony Parker Listed as Day-to-Day With Hamstring Strain
- Mike Wallace Turned Down $76 Million Offer from Minnesota Vikings
- Doc Rivers Expresses Interest In Joining Los Angeles Clippers
- Texans’ Ed Reed Says Tom Brady Slide Forced Hip Surgery
- Indianapolis Colts Agree To Terms With RB Ahmad Bradshaw
- Is Tim Tebow a contender for the backup QB role for the New England Patriots?
- Future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd Frontrunner for Brooklyn Nets Coaching Job
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...