In an effort to strengthen their team’s offense Thursday, the Angels made a move that leaded to the gain from the Royals of Alberto Callaspo in exchange for two pitchers: left-hander Will Smith and right-hander Sean O’Sullivan.
The upcoming start of a four game series against the Rangers, who are the front-runners in the American League West division, the three-time champion of the AL West division needed to step up their game in hopes of regaining that title this year.
Callaspo is a 27-year-old switch-hitter that hit his career high in the 2009 season when he had 11 home runs and 73 runs batted in when batting a .300. This season with the Royals, Callaspo is currently hitting a .275 with 8 home runs and 43 runs batted in. It was in 2001 when he first signed with the Angels who then traded him in 2006 to Arizona for Jason Bulger then at the end of 2007, he was traded to the Royals in exchange for Billy Buckner. Now, he’ll have a chance to be back with the Angels who is expected to start as soon as Friday evening.
As for the two pitchers the Royals acquired, 22-year-old O’Sullivan and 21-year-old Smith are part of a future improvement for the Royals. They were both acquired shortly before the Royal’s opening game Thursday against the New York Yankees.
O’Sullivan is currently 1-0 with an earned run average of 2.08 in 5 games, which includes a single start, with the Angels. With AAA Salt Lake, he went 5-5 with an earned run average of 4.75 during 15 starts. Smith was acquired in the seventh round by the Angels in the 2008 draft. In the 2008 draft, the Angels acquired O’Sullivan who is currently 5-8 with a 5.53 earned run average for his 19 starts with three different LA affiliates this season.
O’Sullivan is expected to join the Royals rotation almost immediately, probably this Sunday for the team’s season finale against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. As for Minor League Smith, he will find himself with A Wilmington.
- Haren Acquired by Angels Sunday; Debut Monday
- MLB Match-up: Chicago White Sox vs. Kansas City Royals
- Kansas City Royals’ Jose Guillen Designated for Assignment
- Washington Nationals Ink RHP Livan Hernandez to One-Year Contract Extension
- MLB Preview – Texas Rangers @ Seattle Mariners September 17, 2010 10:10PM ET
Leave a Reply
- NBA Finals: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat Game 6
- Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics Close to Pulling Off Blockbuster Trade
- Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant Wants to Play At Least Two More Seasons
- Spurs’ Tony Parker Listed as Day-to-Day With Hamstring Strain
- Mike Wallace Turned Down $76 Million Offer from Minnesota Vikings
- Doc Rivers Expresses Interest In Joining Los Angeles Clippers
- Texans’ Ed Reed Says Tom Brady Slide Forced Hip Surgery
- Indianapolis Colts Agree To Terms With RB Ahmad Bradshaw
- Is Tim Tebow a contender for the backup QB role for the New England Patriots?
- Future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd Frontrunner for Brooklyn Nets Coaching Job
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...