Apparently, the Oakland Raiders are very close to cutting loose JaMarcus Russell. The release of Russell from the Raiders is probably going to happen sometime this week, possibly even sometime this evening. This is something that everyone has been waiting for ever since this past Saturday when the Raiders acquired new quarterback Jason Campbell.
Russell, from LSU, was the Raiders first draft pick in the 2007 NFL draft, but they have probably regretted their decision ever since. Since being drafted, Russell has provided nothing but disaster even though he is set to make approximately $9 million this year and next year. Moreover, he weighs more than a usual quarterback would at more than 300 pounds.
Prior to acquiring Campbell, Bruce Gradkowski was set to be the starting quarterback this year and to replace Russell. This past season, Russell shared his quarterback duties with both Gradkowski as well as Charlie Frye. Starting nine games and participating in twelve games, Russell only threw 11 interceptions for three touchdowns – not too impressive, just as the past few years have been for Russell – unimpressive. He has recorded 15 fumbles as well as 23 interceptions and has thrown 18 touchdown passes within 25 starting games. Not very inspiring to say the least. What is even more is that during the past three terrible seasons with the Oakland Raiders, JaMarcus Russell has been able to make a whopping $36 million and more.
If Oakland does decide to cut loose Russell, they will save almost $7 million in 2010 alone. This possible saved money is one of the essential reasons that Oakland is trying to release Russell prior to this weekend, which is when the team’s mini-camp takes place. Sure, he will receive his guaranteed $3 million, but if something were to happen and he gets injured prior to the start of the NFL season, the Oakland Raiders would be shelling out almost $10 million for JaMarcus Russell. If at all possible, they want to keep from that.
It is definitely a good move for Oakland.
2 Responses to “What is the Fate of Oakland’s JaMarcus Russell?”
Leave a Reply
- NBA Finals: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat Game 6
- Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics Close to Pulling Off Blockbuster Trade
- Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant Wants to Play At Least Two More Seasons
- Spurs’ Tony Parker Listed as Day-to-Day With Hamstring Strain
- Mike Wallace Turned Down $76 Million Offer from Minnesota Vikings
- Doc Rivers Expresses Interest In Joining Los Angeles Clippers
- Texans’ Ed Reed Says Tom Brady Slide Forced Hip Surgery
- Indianapolis Colts Agree To Terms With RB Ahmad Bradshaw
- Is Tim Tebow a contender for the backup QB role for the New England Patriots?
- Future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd Frontrunner for Brooklyn Nets Coaching Job
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...