After winning the Super Bowl for the first time in franchise history a few years ago, the New Orleans Saints has seemingly headed into a destructive downward spiral. As if failing to come through in the playoffs for the second straight season wasn’t bad enough for this perennial Super Bowl title contender, the offseason has been an absolute nightmare for all those involve in the Big Easy.
The biggest concern for the Saints heading into the offseason was to re-sign superstar quarterback Drew Brees to a long-term lucrative contract. This contract would keep Brees in New Orleans for the rest of his NFL career and officially make him a Saint for life, but contract talks with the prolific gunslinger have not gone well and ultimately led to a franchise tag.
Obviously, this was bad news for the team as the Saints aren’t much of a contender with Drew Brees under center. Despite the contract talks with Brees not going as planned, the Saints had much worse problems after the news broke of the defense having a bounty program. This program was a money pot system for defensive players that would encourage injuries to opponents for money.
This initial shock of this bounty problem in New Orleans was pretty severe with the Saints taking a huge hit. The verdict by the NFL was recently released with the league suspending head coach Sean Payton for the entire 2012-13 season due to this bounty program.
Needless to say, this news of a year-long suspension for Sean Payton has sent shockwaves throughout the organization and might ultimately effect the re-signing of Drew Brees. Even though many have denied the allegations of a bounty program, the NFL has had no tolerance for it and has thrown down the hammer yet again.
- Drew Brees Frustrated with Contract Talks with New Orleans Saints
- New Orleans Saints Sign Sean Payton To Five-Year Deal
- Drew Brees still far apart with New Orleans Saints on new contract
- Could Bill Parcells take over for Sean Payton as head coach of the New Orleans Saints?
- Drew Brees and New Orleans Saints still far apart on new contract
Leave a Reply
- Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant Wants to Play At Least Two More Seasons
- Spurs’ Tony Parker Listed as Day-to-Day With Hamstring Strain
- Mike Wallace Turned Down $76 Million Offer from Minnesota Vikings
- Doc Rivers Expresses Interest In Joining Los Angeles Clippers
- Texans’ Ed Reed Says Tom Brady Slide Forced Hip Surgery
- Indianapolis Colts Agree To Terms With RB Ahmad Bradshaw
- Is Tim Tebow a contender for the backup QB role for the New England Patriots?
- Future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd Frontrunner for Brooklyn Nets Coaching Job
- Denver Nuggets Part Ways with Head Coach George Karl
- NBA Legend Julius Erving Claims Lakers Traded ‘Damaged Goods’ to 76ers
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...