Last week future Hall of Fame running back LaDainian Tomlinson announced his retirement after 11 seasons in the NFL. Even though Tomlinson will go down as one of the greatest running backs to ever play the game and a legend for his time with the San Diego Chargers, the veteran ball carrier seriously considering giving it a try for one more year for another team in the AFC West division.
As one of the most active teams during the NFL off-season, the Denver Broncos were able to land perhaps the most sought after free agent in league history. After signing four-time NFL MVP quarterback Peyton Manning, the Broncos went from a promising young team led by Tim Tebow to a legitimate Super Bowl title contender for the foreseeable future.
The addition of Manning was enough to entice Tomlinson to consider one more go around. Reportedly, Denver was the only team that made the perennial Pro Bowler seriously think about avoiding retirement for at least one more year. With the Broncos becoming a Super Bowl title contender with a great gunslinger and a solid defense, Tomlinson was going to come into the fold to help the problems coming out of the backfield in the Mile High City.
The acquisition of Tomlinson would’ve been another giant step in the right direction in terms of the team’s chances in the short-term to contend with the best of the best in the AFC Conference.
Obviously, the signing of Tomlinson to an arch division rival might’ve angered loyal Chargers fans and tainted the future Hall of Famer’s career in the eyes of fans in San Diego.
Needless to say, Tomlinson ultimately decided to officially call it a career and retire from the game. It would’ve been interesting to see what Tomlinson might’ve been able to accomplish in Denver, but it may ultimately be the right move.
Leave a Reply
- NBA Finals: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat Game 6
- Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics Close to Pulling Off Blockbuster Trade
- Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant Wants to Play At Least Two More Seasons
- Spurs’ Tony Parker Listed as Day-to-Day With Hamstring Strain
- Mike Wallace Turned Down $76 Million Offer from Minnesota Vikings
- Doc Rivers Expresses Interest In Joining Los Angeles Clippers
- Texans’ Ed Reed Says Tom Brady Slide Forced Hip Surgery
- Indianapolis Colts Agree To Terms With RB Ahmad Bradshaw
- Is Tim Tebow a contender for the backup QB role for the New England Patriots?
- Future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd Frontrunner for Brooklyn Nets Coaching Job
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...