The plot continues to thicken in the Big Easy as the New Orleans Saints and superstar quarterback Drew Brees struggle to see eye-to-eye on a new contract. There is no question at this point in his career that Brees is worth every single penny that he earns with the Saints, but apparently New Orleans and their face of the franchise are apart in terms of the current contract talks.
With a huge gap of about $5 million per season, the Saints are seemingly unwilling to budge on paying their superstar quarterback what he is worth. This huge gap is only in the first three seasons of the contract which are arguably the most important years considering that there is no telling how many years Brees has left in him.
Reportedly, Drew Brees is looking for a contract that will pay him about $23 million annually for the first three years of the deal. Sounds pretty pricey for the Saints, but it would be hard to argue that he isn’t worth the team shelling a contract of that size. Without Brees behind center in New Orleans, the Saints will almost certainly turn into a mediocre football team.
With that being said, the signing of Drew Brees is absolutely crucial to this franchise moving forward. If Brees does re-sign with the team in the coming weeks, the Saints can draw other free agents around the league to upgrade the defense and the receiving corps.
So at this point in time the contract negotiations aren’t exactly going as planned, but there is no doubt that the New Orleans Saints will be dedicating all their efforts to getting this deal done and securing the quarterback position for at least the next three to five years.
- Drew Brees still far apart with New Orleans Saints on new contract
- Drew Brees Frustrated with Contract Talks with New Orleans Saints
- New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton suspended for 2012 season for bounty hunt
- Could Drew Brees sign with a team other than the New Orleans Saints?
- Randy Moss puts on a show for the New Orleans Saints
Leave a Reply
- Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant Wants to Play At Least Two More Seasons
- Spurs’ Tony Parker Listed as Day-to-Day With Hamstring Strain
- Mike Wallace Turned Down $76 Million Offer from Minnesota Vikings
- Doc Rivers Expresses Interest In Joining Los Angeles Clippers
- Texans’ Ed Reed Says Tom Brady Slide Forced Hip Surgery
- Indianapolis Colts Agree To Terms With RB Ahmad Bradshaw
- Is Tim Tebow a contender for the backup QB role for the New England Patriots?
- Future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd Frontrunner for Brooklyn Nets Coaching Job
- Denver Nuggets Part Ways with Head Coach George Karl
- NBA Legend Julius Erving Claims Lakers Traded ‘Damaged Goods’ to 76ers
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...