Out of all the sporting events throughout the year in the United States, there are a lot of which get a lot of attention like the Masters of golf, World Series of baseball and the Finals of the NBA, but the one event that absolutely dominates an entire month is March Madness or the NCAA Tournament.
Before March Madness begins, 64 of the best college basketball programs around the nation get seeded heading into the tournament and go head to head in five rounds before heading into the National Championship game.
This format has worked to perfect every single year with a tournaments filled with upsets and Cinderella stories galore, but the winds of change might be blowing in college basketball as the NCAA Tournament might see expansion sooner rather than later.
When I say expansion, I mean more teams competing in March Madness, a lot more teams!
If the expansion actually happens, the NCAA Tournament will have 96 teams competing for the National Championship opposed to the 64 teams the tournament currently has every single season in college basketball.
Personally, I believe March Madness is great the way it right now and needs absolutely no change. The BCS system in college football on the other hand is another story altogether as I believe that is the one thing in sports today that definitely needs to change its championship format.
Reportedly, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany has said that he believes this expansion is “probable”.
Obviously, Delany has no say in whether or not this expansion will actually become reality, but he believes the added revenue and chances for an extra 30+ teams to win the National Championship every single season is enough to convince the NCAA to approved such a drastic expansion to one of the most popular tournaments in sports.
- Ohio State locks up number seed of East Region of NCAA Tournament
- Butler Bulldogs (8) advance to second straight Final Four
- March Madness: Three players to watch in the 2011 NCAA Tournament
- NCAA National Championship Game: UConn vs. Butler sportsbook odds and predictions
- March Madness: Duke (1) vs. Hampton (16) in NCAA Tournament matchup
One Response to “NCAA Tournament has “probable” chance of expansion”
Leave a Reply
- NBA Finals: San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat Game 6
- Los Angeles Clippers, Boston Celtics Close to Pulling Off Blockbuster Trade
- Los Angeles Lakers Kobe Bryant Wants to Play At Least Two More Seasons
- Spurs’ Tony Parker Listed as Day-to-Day With Hamstring Strain
- Mike Wallace Turned Down $76 Million Offer from Minnesota Vikings
- Doc Rivers Expresses Interest In Joining Los Angeles Clippers
- Texans’ Ed Reed Says Tom Brady Slide Forced Hip Surgery
- Indianapolis Colts Agree To Terms With RB Ahmad Bradshaw
- Is Tim Tebow a contender for the backup QB role for the New England Patriots?
- Future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd Frontrunner for Brooklyn Nets Coaching Job
- Adam: I agree with anyone that Lebron cannot be compared to Michael Jordan but when someone says he has not reached...
- a.rey: I appreciate your opinion, but I’m guessing you’ve never been to Virginia Beach. All you really...
- Matt: What rumor?? This is wild speculation on your part. Is there a source that has suggested this?
- Joe: Whoever wrote this isn’t very knowledgable. First off it’s Hasselbeck not Hasselback and he wanted...
- Ramon: The magic is got to do what is best for the magic.why should they care about were Howard wants to be,because...
- chase: We DO NOT want him back here in Memphis! We rode that ship for a long time and it has sailed long ago. We love...
- mathew: i hope he goes to rockets!
- May: How dare you label state this article as: “May be Forced to Retire if Not Granted House Arrest”. It...